So, How Do I Choose The Right Checking Account?
It's easier to do than you think.
We're going to give you a "Check It Out" list at the end of the module to take with you when you actually go to open your account.
But here's a quick heads up:
- If you are like most young people, you won't use your checking account as much now as you will in later years. So, why not opt for a simple account right now?
Take a look at the basic features most consumer experts say a young person should have with their checking account:
- Free use of ATM/Debit card at your financial institution's ATMs.
- No monthly fee, as long as you maintain a reasonable minimum balance.
- FoolProof reminder: If you're planning to keep a $100 balance in your checking account at all times - like we recommend - look for an institution that gives you free checking as long as you maintain a $100 balance!
- At least 20 free checks before you have to pay a checking writing fee.