So What Is Gambling?
Gambling really has two meanings:
First: You gamble when you bet on an uncertain outcome. You think you know the right answer, but the answer is uncertain. Even if you're not risking anything on the bet, you are gambling.
Here's what we mean:
- You go to one of those "free" online gambling sites that let you 'practice' gambling.
- You get to try a lot of games without having to pay anything if you lose.
- You don't receive anything when you win.
- You're not risking any money.
- But you are still gambling.
You also gamble when you take a risk in the hope you will gain something.
- "I'll buy lunch if you can beat me to the corner," you might say to a friend. "If I win, you buy."
- "I'll pay for the movie if you get a better grade on the gambling test."